It was late spring this year when I saw Juebejue’s fantastic linen coat – made in a pattern I’d already sewn and loved, no less. I warned her immediately that I was going to copy her, and pulled out my copy of Vogue 8926 and some super thick linen a few weeks later.
I was ready for a quick and satisfying sew, especially since I’d already adjusted the fit. The only changes I made were adding length to the body and sleeves, and skipping the ties.
It was completely finished and I was mostly in love with it when I saw some things I could not un-see:
- The beautiful collar had a tendency to stretch where it folded over (my first version has developed the same problem over time, probably because the recommended fabrics have a lot more body than linen), and it rolled in a different spot every time I tried it on
- The back collar was collapsing
- The increase in length meant the facings had more freedom to flap open
So, I went back in under the collar and made some ad-hoc hand-stitched fixes.
I hand-stitched a roll line in using rayon seam tape:
I added a weird little collar stand in the back, pad-stitched from the inside before I closed the facings up and reinforced by quilt batting.
And finally, I hem-stitched the bound facing edges to the body of the jacket. The linen was loose and thick enough the stitches do not show.
I love it so much more now that is has a bit of structure, and it’s been surprisingly useful during the summer. It’s proved a perfect travel piece, too, especially on a plane trip where I used it as a blanket.
I’ve thought about adding some kind of closure to the front, or perhaps a belt. There’s a weird little moment where the roll line ends but the coat still wants to flip open.
But for all my last-minute tailoring, it is ultimately meant to be a loose, easy coat and I’ll leave it as is for now.
I’ve got a nice little backlog of projects from this summer and spring, finally photographed… so let’s just say I’m continuing my tradition of blogging along with the Australian seasons!