(Any other Neko Case fans out there?)
The deep red bells in this case are, obviously, my Mathilde sleeves. I’ve been admiring Kirsty’s (and many others’) versions and finally decided to buy the pattern as part of my quest to add sleeves into my wardrobe.
And did I ever add some sleeves to my wardrobe! So big and bossy.
I used a red cotton that I bought from Our Fabric Stash in Seattle. I didn’t realize it had stretch in it until I got it home and was mad at myself for not noticing sooner – I hate secret stretch! – but it was good wearable muslin fodder. It behaved decently well until the hem, where I switched to my walking foot to make sure the stitches were even.
Since the red color obscures the details of the blouse, here’s a black and white photo.
I was a smaller size in the bust than my hips but went with the larger size as I was apprehensive about the fit through my broad shoulders. While the shoulders are perfect, the bust is a bit big and the dart was 1″ too high. Still, I’ve been happily wearing my Mathilde all day. I also lengthened the bodice by 1.5″ after reading some reviews by other tall sewists. (I’m 5’8″ with a long torso, by the way, and the hem hits halfway down the fly on some average-rise pants).