This is a knit shirt I made awhile back, with fabric gifted to me by the lovely Heather B (thank you, Heather!) from the Stashbusting Challenge swap! It’s a hemp/cotton blend, somewhere between t-shirt weight and sweatshirt weight and not too stretchy. I love it. It’s unapologetically bright. Also goes well with one of my many 2451 skirts.
I was inspired by Andrea’s take on McCall’s 6288, where she transformed a fitted raglan knit top pattern into something more pullover-ish. I happen to own the same pattern, and added an inch to the side seams and the bottoms of the raglan sleeve seams as well as lowered the arm scye. I used the Renfrew techniques for the waistband, arm bands and neck binding. There’s a bit of waviness in the waistband. I’d like to try adding some paper between the fabric next time to see if I can’t get some of the waviness out.
Waviness or no, expect to see this little green shirt during MMM ’13! Because I’m doing it! I’m going to stick with one item per day because, as I’ve mentioned before, I love purging unsuccessful projects. Repeats are ok in my book, but I’ll try to keep it interesting!
One of the unexpected things I loved about MMM last year was that it usually got me up a couple of hours earlier during the work week. On bad days, I won’t get up until 8:45am (I get to work at 9:30). So! My extra challenge to myself on every weekday (except for Wednesday – Tuesday is my night class) is to get up around 7am, get dressed, document, and do something – draw, read, walk to work or just enjoy a cup of tea. I’ll share what I wore and what I did in a weekly recap. Wish me luck!
Has Me-Made-May or another sewing challenge impact your schedule or lifestyle?
At long last, I’ve managed to get pictures of my second Renfrew! We took a trip to Portland this weekend (more on that later), and the sun came out. I made this one right after the first Renfrew but had some struggles with the winter light in the northwest.
The fabric is a heathered wool knit that I bought in 2011. I managed to eke it out of a failed make (Day 3 from MMM ’12) and remnants. Let’s just say I couldn’t have made the cowl version!
I also got some new glasses because the astigmatism in my left eye worsened. (Okay, that’s technically true, but I also really really wanted new glasses.)
The neckline looks tidy. It came together more easily than the bias-binding I’d tried on other knit shirts.
Since making the purple version, I had altered the pattern a bit. I dropped the arm scye and broadened the shoulders a bit. It looks like I didn’t broaden them enough, however. The shirt looks fine until I raise my arms. Then, the shoulder seams retreat towards my neck. Don’t get me wrong, I still wear this shirt constantly. But the next time around, I’ll fix it. Being a high school and college swimmer has changed me for good, I suspect. No matter how little I exercise, my shoulders remain “athletic”.
Since the fabric is itchy, I lined the shirt with an old t-shirt of Nathan’s and some zebra remnants. Behold, this tame grey shirt has a rather wild interior!
Here it is, wistfully looking out the window. I just might have to wear it reversed sometime….
I’d accumulated two beautifully bright but misshapen t-shirts sometime in the last year and a half, and had been hoarding them because I couldn’t bear to part with their bold colors.
Well! Yesterday, I finally executed the refashion. I’d been hoping to use the top 1/3 of the blue with as much of the pink minus the sleeves as possible, which ended up being a good strategy. I finished up by using the rest of the blue by folding it in half and making a bottom band.
I’m going to wear this all the time! I love it. It’s cheerful and kind of sporty. It also fills a much-needed gap in my wardrobe: short-sleeved (but not sleeveless) shirts that look good with jeans and can be worn to the office. I don’t think I’ll get to the point where I’m buying used t-shirts specifically to refashion them, but I feel emboldened to tackle more of my cast-off pile!