I finished Nathan’s shirt in the middle of last week! He wore it to work the next day and again this weekend, so I call it a success. We managed to get some pictures today, and I tried to impart my best and only modeling advice: look off to the side dreamily and un-focus your eyes.
I could see shirt-making getting addicting. No one step in the process (perhaps aside from edge-stitching the collar stand) was crazy difficult but each one builds on the last. It’s a like a sewing crescendo.
I made a few changes to the pattern (McCall’s 6044) since the last time I used it. I was already using a large through the arm holes and tapering down to a medium through the waist. This time I added 1/4″ back into the bottom of the side seams for a little more ease. I also drafted a back yoke (inspired by Lisa) to add a bit of visual interest to the plain near-black fabric.
Speaking of the fabric… I’m still a little bit rankled because it was listed as 100% cotton but the second I put an iron to it, I smelled polyester. I’d already washed it and hadn’t done a burn test but I’m starting to think I might need to every time I get a fabric. This is the second time in a month I’ve received synthetic fibers in a so-called cotton. The first was from Girl Charlee, and this one was from Mood. Reputable retailers, both of them! All the more shocking as internet research leads me to believe it’s illegal to sell fabric or garments and not declare fiber content accurately. Explaining why I was upset to Girl Charlee was a draining process that took place over a couple of days and I didn’t have the gumption to repeat it. I also had my heart set on starting this project for Nathan.</rant>
Has anyone else bought fabric online that was misrepresented?
Fiber content drama aside, I’m super proud of this shirt! I learned a lot of new techniques from Pam Howard’s Craftsy class like how to make sure you’re cutting on-grain, tailor’s tacks, flat-felling seams, and the proper way to line up buttons to the placket. I even have ideas for what I’d like to tackle next time, like better collar points, better edge-stitching, a slightly wider button placket and exploring what looks like excessive ease in the top back area of the sleeve and upper back.
With this project complete, my head is now spinning even more about what to make next, aside from the blazer my mom and I are making in our lessons (we’re using Simplicity 2250). We had another lesson this weekend fitting our muslins. I’ve always known that my shoulders and upper back are broad but it really hit home when we added 7/8″ to the center back seam! No wonder I had a hard time finding RTW button shirts and jackets.