Completed / Sewing

Just a couple 2012 projects

crab&bee

I made this top way back in June using a modified Burda 7661, which is the second pattern I bought, ever. I removed the closure in the back and dropped the arm scye by an inch, I believe. It’s made from the same fabric as the garment once known as the Melville Dress, now referred to as the Wrinkle Dress.

Its creation was a very compulsive affair. Nathan was out of town on business and I allowed myself to descend into a sewing binge, only returning to real life to pick him up from the airport. Nonetheless, it’s well-made enough to be one of my favorite pieces to layer in spring and wear on its own during summer. The crinkly cotton does just fine as a top, unlike the dress in its current state. I’m excited to wear it again when the time comes!

crab&bee

This is a more recent make, from November. I had some cotton jersey on hand from a 2011 fabric purchase. I used McCall’s 6288 as a base (the same pattern that Andrea from four square walls made her cute knit shirts from) but converted it into a dress.

It’s a hard-working and useful dress, but mistakes were made. The waistband, which is just a smaller circumference of the same fabric, is stressed to the max by the larger circumference of the skirt and bodice. I think I could have made it a lot closer to the skirt/bodice circumference and it still would have looked flattering. Also, the more blog posts I read by other seamsters, the more I realize that there is more to knits than just sewing as normal and trimming/finishing my edges with an overlock foot. The biggest visible issue is the wavy hem. It sounds like I need to stabilize my hems? And employ a double-needle? Help!

(Shoe confession: even though I tried to limit myself to 0-2 new pairs this year, my shoe purchases ballooned out to 5 and the boots above were the fifth. I’m writing up a little sustainable habits post for next week!)

My last tidbit has to do with very prosaic sewing, hemming some thrifted jeans. My Bernina generally handles everything I throw at it with aplomb, but got cranky when I reached the thickest part of the hem. I was using top-stitching thread with a 90/14 needle. It looks like the bobbin case tension might have been high. Does anybody have any tricks for working with denim, or have I pushed my machine over its limit? It’s also been a couple years since its had a proper cleaning.

About these ads

2 thoughts on “Just a couple 2012 projects

  1. I adore the fabric in your top and the crinkle dress! It looks so great on you. I’m looking forward to your sustainable living post! I’m trying to keep better tabs on myself this year, although with a trip to France in March, I’m not confident of keeping it all under control. Re help with your machine, I’ll have to defer to greater sewers than me!

  2. Hi there, just found your blog the other da and have been working through the archives. You may have already heard this by now, but to make it easier for your machine to get through thick layers, give the fabric a pounding with a hammer first. No guarantees, but it might do the trick.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s